The Department is a part of various national and international committees. A brief outline is as follows:
Mapping committee, aiming to utilize the expertise and suggestions of the different wings of the government, has members from various ministries and educational institutions. Secretary of Ministry of Land Reform and Management of Government of Nepal is the Chair person, Director General of Survey Department is the Member Secretary and the representatives of the Ministry of Home, Ministry of Defense, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Department of Geography of Tribhuwan University, are the members. Its main responsibilities are as follows:
- To assist various ministries, departments and organizations in the preparation of maps and give consent to them for publishing such maps.
- Store all published maps in a central depository in the Department for security purpose.
- Bring about an uniformity in the mapping procedures in Nepal.
- Advise the government in the preparation of policy in Mapping and related works.
- Avoid duplication of mapping work, improve quality of finished product and coordinate between different government organizations.